Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Rewards and Incentives

When I walk into classrooms, many students raise their hand in anticipation and say "Me??! Is it my turn?".  I just LOVE that feeling.  As much as I would like to think they want to come to speech to learn, let's be honest, students need motivation.  I have created a system of rewards that keeps students on track and progressing throughout the school year.  I'm ready to share it with you!

First off, I buy a notebook for every student.  I keep the notebooks in my speech room and have them organized by grade.  Every morning, I pull out the notebooks for the students I am seeing that day.


On the inside cover of each notebook, I tape a motivational "sticker chart".  
When I pick up new students for the first time, I explain that every time they come to speech and do their work, they will get a sticker to place on the chart.  When the chart is full, they will get to pick a prize from the TREASURE BOX! 

I also put full sticker charts on the "Speech Hall of Fame" hung on my door! Students love finding their old completed charts.


Now that I set the hook, I explain the rules.  If a student is not doing the "right thing", I will give a warning and state the behavior I expect.  If I have to give three warnings, that students will not get a sticker for the day.  That's it! It's all about structure.  Students know exactly what is expected of them, and what they can expect from me.

I have found this system works really well.  Every day I hear things like "Look I'm getting close!" and "I only need 7 more stickers to get a prize!".  On the flip side, some students say "I got two warnings today, next time I will follow directions."

Dollar tree and Target Dollar spot are my go-to places to make this reward system budget-friendly.  I spend $1 on each prize.  I have 50-55 students on my caseload.  It takes 25 speech sessions for each student to win a prize.  With the majority of mandates being twice weekly, most students are choosing 2-3 prizes per school year.  So for about $150 for the year, students are motivated! Priceless:)

Tell me Tuesday...what kind of reward system do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment